Quick Guide to Using the Register
From starting an order to applying discounts, get up to speed on the most important everyday processes used at the register. Learn how to print a receipt, void order items, and more.
Table of Contents
- Start an Order
- Discounts, Fees, and Tips
- Redeem a Coupon
- Void Order Items
- Split an Order
- Merge Orders
- Print a Receipt
- Complete an Order
- Enter Tip
Before continuing, make sure you have followed our Quick Setup Guide and have started your day.
Start an Order
This section covers the most common way of beginning an order. Visit the full Creating Orders article to learn about starting an order from the table layout or by swiping a credit card.
- Tap 'Open' from the bottom menu.
- Select the + sign at the top to start a new order.
- Fill in the details on the left.
Name | The customer, table, or other name associated with the order.
Order Type | Tap to select the order type (e.g. dine in, take out, etc).
Prepare By | The date and/or time the order needs to be prepared by.
# of Guests | The number of guests associated with the order.
- Tap menu items on the right to add them to the order.
- (optional) Tap 'Send' at the top left to print kitchen tickets but leave the order unpaid.
Discounts, Fees, and Tips
Apply discounts to reduce an order’s total. Fees and tips, on the other hand, add extra charges to an order (e.g. a corkage fee or mandatory gratuity for large parties).
- Select the 'Discounts' or 'Fees' tabs at the top right of an open order.
- Select a Discount or Fee to add it to the order.
- Enter the dollar amount or percentage, if prompted.
Learn more about discounts, fees, and tips here.
Redeem a Coupon
Enter a coupon’s code to apply its one-time-use discount to an order.
- Tap 'Coupon' at the bottom of an open order.
- Enter the coupon code and select 'Redeem'.
To learn more about coupons, visit the full Coupons support article here.
Void Order Items
Perform a void to remove a menu item from an order after it has been sent to the kitchen. Visit the full Voids article to learn how to void an entire order.
- In an open order, tap a line item on the left side.
- Choose 'Void'.
- Enter a reason (optional) and tap 'Void' to confirm.
Split an Order
Simplify group payment by splitting a single order into as many as needed.
- Tap 'Split' at the bottom of an open order.
- Tap the line '# of Split Checks' to change the number of checks you'll need.
- Enter the number of ways to split the order, then tap 'OK'.
- Hold the three lines next to a menu item and drag it down into a new order.
Repeat this step, as necessary, until all orders have the correct items.
- Choose 'Done' to finish the split.
For more on splitting, including how to split line items, check out the full article here.
Combine multiple orders by merging them together into one. For example, if a customer starts an order at the bar, opens a new order at a table, and needs to combine the two.
- Tap 'Merge' at the bottom of an open order.
- Select an order to merge with the first one.
- (optional) Repeat steps 1 and 2 to merge additional orders.
For more information, visit the Merge Orders article.
Print a Receipt
Receipts show a customer’s full order, total payment due, and other information.
- Tap 'Receipt' at the bottom of an open order.
Learn about automatic receipt printing, reprinting, and other details here.
Complete an Order
When customers are finished dining, apply their payment to the order to complete it. By default, an order automatically closes when paid for in full.
- Tap 'Payment Amount' at the bottom and adjust the total of the payment.
For cash, this is the amount the customer hands to you.
- Choose the customer's payment method.
Cash, Credit, or Other…
- If the customer overpays in cash, select whether to apply the difference as a tip or give change.
Read our Processing Credit Cards article to see how credit card transactions work.
- (optional) Tap 'Close' at the bottom to close the order.
If someone leaves a tip, record it in Ambur so it can be tracked along with their order information.
- Tap 'Closed' at the bottom.
- Select an order on the left.
- Tap the payment (e.g. Cash, VISA, etc) on the right.
- Enter the tip amount and choose 'Done'.
Carry out a refund to return the full value of a customer’s order in their original form of payment. This section covers cash refunds, but visit the Refunds article for help with credit card refunds.
- Open the order that needs to be refunded.
Learn how to reopen a closed order here.
- Tap the red '-' sign on the right next to the payment and 'Delete' to remove it.
- Return the customer's funds.
- Void the order.
Read our Voids article to learn how.
But wait, there’s more! Check out the Using Ambur support page for additional articles on using the register.